Southampton Terminus Docks
Location: On the east side of Terminus Terrace
Company on opening: London & South Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 5.9.1966
Date closed completely: 5.9.1966
Company on closing: British Railways (Southern Region)
Present state: Although the platforms have been demolished the freight line to Ocean Terminal still passes the site of the station. The main station building designed by Sir William Tite survives and now houses the Stanley Southampton Casino..
Notes: A temporary terminus for the LSWR line from Winchester to Southampton was opened at Southampton Northam Road on 10th June 1839, this was made necessary because of a dispute over the crossing at Northam Road. The new terminus was eventually opened the following year. The station was opened as Southampton being renamed Southampton Docks in July 1858, Southampton Town and Docks in September 1896 and Southampton Town for Docks in November 1912. It was finally renamed Southampton Terminus on 9th July 1923.